As you will have heard on the news, the government is providing additional funding to schools to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
Primary PE and School Sport
In April 2013, the Government announced new funding of £150 million for physical education (PE) and sport. This funding should be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision. Funding is allocated to all maintained and state funded schools with primary phase pupils. Schools are free to determine how best to use this funding to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of.
How will we be spending the PE and Sport funding and who will benefit?
Killamarsh Infant and Nursery School have selected to use the funding of £13,344 in 2017 /18 in the following ways:
- pooling some of the additional funding with that of other local schools in the North East Derbyshire School Sport Partnership
- attending sport competitions and festivals
- developing the school facilities
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- developing quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
We are investing £1,600 of our funding in affiliating to the North East Derbyshire School Sports Partnership (NED SSP). NED SSP is passionate about improving the lives of young people, by providing opportunities through Physical education and Sport. NED SSP will provide a core package to support the school in:
- Continuous professional development signposting and support
- Inclusion training and support
- PE and School Sport Audit
- Level 1 School Games (intra-school) support
- Access to Level 2 School Games calendar appropriate for age-group (inter-school/cluster/district)
Leadership and Volunteering
- Mini-Leader programme – training / mentoring
- School Sport Organising Crew development (primary)
Club and Community Links
- Signposting to local clubs through competition programmes
- Midday Supervisor training
- Active lunchtimes programme
- Early Rider Infant cycling programme (infant only)
- Support for schools to achieve School Games Kitemark for PE and Sport
- Cluster and Individual School development through a PE and School Sport audit
- Sharing good practice through regular PE Coordinator/Headteacher meetings at cluster SSP level
For more information please visit http://www.nedssp.co.uk
Our school has completed an audit of PE, school sport and physical activity to inform us how to effectively maximise the impact of the sport premium funding. Therefore, in addition to our affiliation to the NED SSP, we have allocated the following:
- Lead Practititioner support. NED SSP Lead Practitioners are supporting our staff to develop their confidence and competence to deliver high quality physical education. It is having a measurable impact on pupil attainment.
- A programme of Physical Literacy is available for identified groups of children. The programme is followed with them and assessment data is already showing improvement in their fine motor skills in writing and creative activities. Their listening and concentration skills have improved and we are monitoring their progress.
The outline of the way in which the Sports Premium is being spent will be provided below shortly.